Are you one of the 7.8 million Americans who commute to work every day? If so, I’m guessing you’ve listened to a podcast or two. You’re not alone. According to Infinite Dial, U.S. podcast audiences listen to an average of four to five podcasts per week.
The podcasting industry continues to grow YoY. In fact, Infinite Dial reports that, in 2021, 7 million more people were listening to podcasts than in 2020 alone.
That’s why it’s important to consider podcast advertising for your brand. Here, you’ll learn everything you need to know about podcast advertising — from top podcast advertising strategies to advertising rates and networks.
Podcast Expert Advertising Strategies
Before you get started with podcast advertising, consider this advice from the experts.
Use podcasting for brand awareness, not lead generation.
Rebekah Bek: As a UX writer for Ahrefs, Bek was put in charge of podcast sponsorships. She writes her advice for podcast advertising strategies in this Medium post. Here are the key takeaways:
- Rather than being a tool for lead generation, podcast advertising is a tool for gaining exposure and brand awareness.
- It’s not always about measurable ROI.
- Organic, not scripted, mentions perform best.
Understand your audience may have eclectic tastes.
Midroll: Midroll, a company that matches advertisers with shows , gives their advice to advertisers. Here is the key takeaway:
- It’s wise not to adhere too strictly to a category. Don’t assume that comedy audiences aren’t also entrepreneurs or that listeners to a sports podcast aren’t interested in a comedy special. You may be surprised at how broad and eclectic your audience tastes and needs are.
Ads read by the host perform better than third-party ads.
Jason Hoch: Former Chief Content Officer at HowStuffWorks, Hoch revealed what type of ads work best for their brand in an interview with DigiDay. Here are the key takeaways:
- Ads read by the host perform better than scripted, third-party ads placed in the podcast.
- Listeners feel like they are being shouted at with third-party ads.
- Consider producing organic mentions for better results.
Test and measure the success of your campaigns.
Kurt Kaufer: Partner and CMO at Ad Results Media, a podcast advertising agency, Kaufer wrote a survival guide for podcast advertising in this Forbes post. Here are the key takeaways:
Click here to view original web page at Podcast Advertising: 5 Experts Reveal Their Secrets