Everyone wants a personalized and custom experience online, so it’s no wonder that social commerce has taken over the online shopping world.
Channels like Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, and WhatsApp already have thousands of businesses marketing on their platforms, and many have adopted shopping and payment functions that allow people to buy a product or service directly on the platforms.
While social commerce is relatively new, it falls under the larger umbrella of eCommerce sales, which are expected to reach $4.2 trillion this year. As a result, the revenue potential is high, and it’s attracting the attention of marketers across a variety of industries.
Whether you’re looking for information to boost your social media shop or shape your online strategy, read on to discover social commerce stats that will help you understand the current market and learn best practices for attracting buyers and growing your business.
Social Commerce Stats for 2021
General Social Commerce Stats
- 35.9% of internet users in the US will make at least one social commerce purchase in 2021. (Insider Intelligence, 2021)
- US social commerce sales will surpass $36 billion in 2021, with more than 35% growth. (Insider Intelligence, 2021)
- Chinese retail social commerce sales will reach $351.65 billion in 2021. (Insider Intelligence, 2021)
- In 2021, US social commerce sales will increase from 35.8% to $36.62 billion. (Insider Intelligence, 2021)
- In China, more than 424 million people ages 14 years and up will make at least one social commerce purchase in 2021. (Insider Intelligence, 2021)
- There were almost 80 million social buyers in the US in 2020, a 30% increase from 2019. (Statista, 2021)
- Social commerce attracted investment from US companies at the start of the pandemic, in addition to online and mobile commerce. (Statista, 2021)
- 8 in 10 ten US businesses anticipate selling on social media within the next three years. (Statista, 2021)
- The number of US social commerce buyers grew to 80.1 million in 2020 and is anticipated to increase to 96.1 million in 2022. (eMarketer, 2021)
- 30% of eCommerce companies are already selling on social media, and 12% plan on selling through social media platforms in 2021. (Statista, 2021)